Sunday, September 6, 2015

Black Cod/Sablefish Dinner!!

Black Cod Dinner!!

  You know its really sad how drama is created and how others may perceive one another. I often tell myself, how in the heck did I get here? What turn did I make that brought me to this place? That's what I ask myself, often. So my cooking videos help me somewhat. They reinforce who I am as a person and what things I can do that are special and how I maybe able to share them with others. I really enjoy watching those food channels and anything to do with creating a beautiful dish. Makes me feel like art on a plate. Still, I really enjoy peace and harmony. I mean who doesn't? Some people are so darn chaotic at times, even myself. So I try to stay true to my roots of passion and love for the simpler things in life, because it does become way too much for me at times to be honest. Yet, I have often dreamed how it would be in that big beautiful kitchen with all the new commodities that make a dish so beautiful and creative. 

  As a child, I had no other choice, the only thing that I was allowed to do in the privacy of my own world without anyone interfering, for the exception of those who found it very entertaining to pick on each other, was when I was a lone in the kitchen. In elementary school, I had some who would pick on me, and chase me because I was different. In high school I had some girls who were extremely awful and would to pick on me. These were called BULLIES!! I'm not saying that I haven't gone through stuff and my own crazy dramatic episodes. I was once a bully as well. Call it survival. And I don't blame anyone, it was part of life then and is part of life now at times. Thank goodness for laws in some places, and that's if you are lucky enough to survive the place where you live. 


  Growing up under other restrictive rules, school, marrying, then having children. Yet, not so crazy, but at an early age, possibly yes! Still, just part of life and living, working; drama at work and not allowed to work in peace, having to move, because of economic changes, more school, etc, and finally becoming ill. When life was simply too much, and brought me to a complete halt, that's when I knew things had to change. But how?  I only knew what i knew. Yes life can be difficult. No one ever knows when the winds of injustice and whirls of change will come knocking at your door. And sometimes it can be a tornado, earthquake, or a hurricane, something quite massive. But what do you do? And there are those who behave just as well. That's when I get into my own world and try and find peace somehow. It's not always easy, especially when one lives around chaotic environment and simply being distracted. Where do I find peace in all of it? Oh there are many places, but it;s for me in my own kitchen. I disconnect and get in my own space and into what I found love for!

  So for today, I wanted to share a recipe that I love with one of my favorite foods. I really enjoy True Cod. I was tired (when I did this video) from running around all month long and not knowing where the heck I am suppose to belong, besides cooking. It all had caught up. When I found this beautiful BEAUTIFUL Black Cod fillet, I knew I was on the right path!! It's not everyday I run into a nice piece of fish and appreciate it's sacrifice and how it was placed there just for me. It's how I feel at a times. Very self absorbed...right? We all can get that way sometimes. I thought I had hit the lottery. Really! Sometimes when I shop, I get so excited about certain things, whether it's religion, a new car, a meteorite finding, and for me it's simply my small kitchen. Well it maybe be because of a food memory, a reminder of family gatherings and of something fun, or simply it's contents. In this case, I remembered how it was used for our finals at school. That beautiful piece of black cod with so much thought, work, and effort went into preparing and cooking that seems at times to be simply taken for granted. Although, I had not cooked Black Cod, and have been cooking True Cod, Cod has become one of my favorite fishes. I realize that many do poach this beautiful piece of majestic fish. Yep, that's what I will call it!! It's inexpensive, tender and firm at the same time, doesn't fall a part so easily, rich, buttery, flaky, and so dept in flavor. What can I say, and it's sustainable! To me that's priceless!! And I'm going to enjoy it, and I hope you do as well. Thanks!


                                                                   Cod Dinner Video (Part 1)

Fresh Broccolini from our Community Garden

  Now in order to have that beautiful fish stand out, one has to have a beautiful vegetable. Or not. I remember when it was really important that my father was served a full meal, meaning meat, a starch, a vegetable, a grain, and of course a dessert. And always milk or a milkshake from the best qualities. I even remember our milk being delivered at one time to our home. It was awesome and felt special. But now one has to be able to afford it and most importantly, have a computer with online suave. I'm still learning. It's crazy! Right? 

  Back to broccolini, it's so delicious, crunchy, green, sweet, and fresh!! You don't have to cook it so hard. Not like the potatoes I made. (I'm laughing). I looked back to the potatoes, and thought, what the heck was I doing?? Not to say the least, I blew so many words while explaining ingredients and techniques. Oh well I hope to get better while doing these recipe videos. Personally, I rather be collecting shells on the beach! But for now, broccolini!! 

  It has so many healthy benefits. Truly!! It fights against cancer cells, and is high in vitamins, calcium, and iron. Hey I'm not saying to stop taking vitamins, but if we ate better then we wouldn't have to supplement so much. 

  I watched my father die of cancer. I still don't understand this horrific disease and why it chose him as a victim and consumed his beautiful body. I watched him suffer so much. For what I had witnessed, he must of given up or he was simply tired. I felt so helpless. He didn't have the fun I thought was fun; walking the beaches, riding bikes, flying kites, etc. Well maybe he did at one time, but he traveled a completely different path and traveled quite a bit without the family many times. I suppose his meetings were of great importance to him. Perhaps it was where he lived. Life is certainly not fair at times. So if we have fields of broccolini and less fields of chaos and weeds, we would have a healthier lifestyle. I love broccolini and it's so easy to prepare and cook. Simply saute it with extra virgin coconut oil, lemon, season with salt and pepper, and viola!! You have a great vegetable for a side dish. And it's simple!! Or you can eat it steamed and raw without adding other ingredients. It's just lovely and crunchy!


Mise-en-place

Ingredients for your Black Cod Dinner:

Cod;
Black Cod, 2 fillets
Salt & pepper, to taste
Special seasoning that has many flavors, your choice! (:
Lemon, cut in half
Coconut oil, virgin and 2 tablespoons
Butter, unsalted, 1 table spoon
Toasted sesame seed oil, 1 teaspoon
3 plates, one for raw fish, one for cooked fish, and one for plating

Potatoes: 
Red potatoes, 4-5 depending on size, washed thoroughly, and cut into quarters
Boiling water in a small pot, seasoned with salt
Red or green bell pepper, julienne, 1/3 cup 
Red onions, or yellow, julienne, 1/3 cup
Cream or half and half, or whole milk, 1/2 cup or more
Stock (optional), compensate 1/2 of milk for part of stock, or all of it
Extra virgin olive oil (XVOO), 2 tablespoons
Butter to taste
Salt and pepper to taste

Buerre blanc:
Fond from cooked fish, the food particles from the saute pan leave oil in pan
Oil/fat, coconut oil & sesame seed oil,  as needed, just a bit like a teaspoon or more
Onion or shallots, 1/4 cup, sliced julienne
Garlic, 2-3 depending on your palette, thin sliced, chopped, minced, or just sliced
Cremini mushrooms, sliced thin, 1/2 cup
Capers, 1 teaspoon or more, your preference
White wine, preferably sauvignon blanc, or a sparkling, a 1/2 cup will do
Butter, 2 tabs, 1 tablespoon

Broccolini:
Garden fresh broccolini, 1 bushel; 2 cups
Coconut oil, virgin, 1 tablespoon
Lemon, 1/2 squeezed into saute or less, depending on your pallet 
Salt and pepper to taste
Pecans, 2 tablespoons, or more if you desire. They can be toasted.
   Boil water in a pot for your potatoes. Season water with salt. Add potatoes and cover, leaving lid slightly tipped at an angle for the steam to escape. (Cook until very tender). Meanwhile, heat your saute pan for the fish.

  Season fish, and add oil to the hot saute pan. Place fish in the pan, skin up. I do this so that the seasoning can fall into the oils. Then I turn it over, if you want a soft skin instead of a crispy skin, your choice! Skin up or down, either way the fish only takes 6-8 minutes to cook, if you have a slightly thin piece. Depending on the thickness of the fillet is how you will time the cooking process. Remove and place fish on a clean plate. Keep the particles of the meat in the pan. This is called the fond, your base for an awesome flavor!

  Check potatoes, with a fork. The fork should slide into the potato easily. Drain water. While potatoes are cooking, saute onions and bell peppers in an saute pan. Make sure it's heated before adding veggies. Stir until tender, and add salt and pepper. 

  Small dice onions, finely chop garlic, and slice mushrooms. Add to fond and stir. (The pan with fish bits). Add a bit more fats, oils only, not butter! Stir until tender then add the mushrooms, and sweat. Now add wine, season, add capers, simmer, and remove from heat. Add butter and stir gently. This will prevent the sauce from breaking. Believe me, I use to break the sauce and couldn't understand why I wasn't getting that beautiful lightly creamy texture. This technique can be used for any sauce. The only problem, is diet. If you are on it, then this is the worse sauce to eat. But if you would like to splurge a bit, go for it!! Gently place fish into the mushroom sauce. Mushroom Buerre Blanc! (I just made that up). 

  Add the cream or milk, and stock if you are using it, extra virgin olive oil into the potatoes. Add sauteed onions and bell peppers and season with salt and pepper. You are almost finished!!

  Now lightly cut your broccolini. Make sure it's been properly rinsed. heat another saute pan and add oil. At smoke point add the the green beauty and saute lightly, adding some lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Add pecans. Broccolini will be crispy and so delicious!! Ready to serve. Place on clean plate, add potatoes, and black cod. Now gently place the mushroom buerre blanc on the side. Have a beautiful dinner! With  a beautiful white wine, you are close to heaven! Enjoy!!


Final words!



No comments:

Post a Comment