Saturday, August 29, 2015

Mary's Flour Tortillas!

Beautiful Handmade Flour Tortillas! 

  When I think about flour tortillas, I think about buying them in the store. Although I'm very selective where I buy these beautiful flat breads. Where can I find a tortilla that does not have so much sodium? Where do I buy fresh ones? What brand can I trust? I suppose I'm much like my father these days, always reading the ingredients of each package. Before it was just grab-n-go! But now I just wish to research for quality ones. OK, so I don't feel like going to the store. And the ones I like are just too far to get too. So what do I do? I'll just make them. It's not like I can't. And guess what else, finally? It can be really fun. If you get the ingredients right, it's really easy and fun. So here it goes.....

  These tortillas may of not turned out like I would of wanted them too, but they are nonetheless quite delicious. I may have to tweak it a bit, trying to figure out how I made them the last time, since they did turn out well. So my own critic is myself. I know there are so many recipes out there. And I would say go for it!! If anything you can easily use this recipe and video as a reference and the technique of making flour tortillas. Maybe I'll get better, or just thank my lucky stars that they have them at the super market. Still they are fun to make and I'll just make them from scratch. I hope you enjoy this segment, as you watch me sweat like crazy making them! Have fun!

Making Tortillas!

Handmade Flour Tortillas
Mise-en-place ingredients for recipe:

AP flour (all purpose), unbleached, 4 cups
Cooking oil, 3/4 cups
Baking powder, 1 and 1/2 teaspoon
Sea salt, 1 ans 1/2 teaspoon up to a tablespoon (I would use less)
Warm water, 3.4 cups or more
Extra flour for board and rolling pin
Mise-en-place for Sweet Potato Tortillas!!
  Mix all of the above ingredients into a bowl and knead into a soft pliable dough. You may need more liquid to make sure it has a consistency of softness, or else you will be using a lot of elbow grease, like I did in my recipe video clip. 

Pumpkin Flour Tortilla Dough

  Heat up the grill you are going to use. make sure grill is well heated. You may have to adjust heating in between each tortilla. Flour rolling pin and board. Roll dough into small balls, about 3 ounces each. Now begin rolling each ball into a round flat tortilla. 

 Tortilla bubbling
 Keep tortillas wrapped in a clean cloth

Beautiful Handmade Flour Tortillas!

  Immediately place the tortilla on the hot grill. As soon as it bubbles, which it should, turn them over. Take tortilla and make a pile by placing each grilled tortilla on each other. The tortillas do not need to grill for a long period and should be a golden brown color. Practice makes perfect. So if the first couple of tortillas are funky, keep rolling. You will be a pro in no time! Cover them up as you go. When done serve immediately or you can reheat them back on the grill or over fire. Yummy!! These make great soft tacos! Enjoy with butter as well!! Any questions. feel free to watch the video! 

Me in my busy kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment