Monday, September 28, 2015

Creole Gumbo and Pumpkin Sage Cornbread!

Creole Gumbo with Pumpkin Sage Cornbread

  I haven't quite mastered the timing from recording my recipe videos as much as well as my cooking these days. Still, I do enjoy learning how to create with the newest technology. It's part of our industry and economic change. I have yet to learn so much more, as I do with cooking. I have made gumbo and cornbread for years. I have always been created more of a California style in my comfort foods, as well as the traditional methods, I've cooked for many years. It takes thinking out of the box and also learning about what's available within my local growers and what's new in this vast industry. Some foods are pricey because they do come from abroad, and I try to stick with food ingredients that are nearby. I don't get to travel as I would like too, but when I'm able to get some deals on my food specialties, it makes all of the difference in cooking.

  This recipe video, four video clips, is about Gumbo, and Creole Gumbo, at that, with Pumpkin Sage Cornbread. I have enjoyed making gumbo and and cornbread and have made it traditionally from what others who have shared with me, as well as recipes from my personal cookbooks. But the Sage Pumpkin Cornbread is something I thought of, at least it's what I thought, until I googled it! I have also searched online for specific recipes to see if there are any that are similar to my thinking. If I see a recipe and if I like it, I may tweak it a little and bring in my own flairs of food style. I mean I don't know anyone who doesn't do it. And instructors have done it as well, besides those who have the valid knowledge from being taught from a specific educational system, teamwork, or simply from childhood.

  I can say that I have been taught by watching Julia Child, watching my mother, and watching others in the kitchen. At times, when I was very young, my mother would shoo me out the kitchen. But that never stopped me. I would sneak and put on my creative juices, while the family wasn't around and create some wonderful dishes, in my opinion. I mean I never knew there was a recipe out there for peach corn bread? I just thought that taking a Jiffy box of cornbread and making it extra sweet and placing peaches in it was my creativity. But I found it to be a part pf a culture, which I later learned after several decades of baking. Unfortunately some who call themselves instructors choose not to share their secret recipes, while having students figure it our for themselves. And those who do share, are priceless in my book. As a teacher, which we all become at some point or another, we should share our valid experiences and ideas so that others are able to carry out what has been a part of our culture and our ancestors livelihood. I only wished I had learned more from my mother and grandmother.

  Living in California for the most part of my life, for the exception of a short period when I lived in Hawaii, I have some real great experiences in kitchen. Traveling to Mexico contributed to some of my expertise. I suppose it's another reason why I do the recipe videos. "Lose it, if you don't use it". Right?

  I have been cooking since I was 12 years of age, and watching Julia Child, as I mentioned earlier, has added some flair to my cooking style, I'm sure. And before that making mud pies and eating dirt, I'm sure added to my crazy experiences, which pretty much sent me to the hospital, many times, by the way. I owned a catering business from 1990 to 2008. Then got lost with words of "A cook could only last 15 years". Really? Then why am I still in the kitchen? Did I miss something? No, it was just life at it's will, I suppose. Stuff happens!! Anyway after losing almost everything...(did I mentioned that as well?), I started a new venture in taking some classes. I had to do something quick! I did try to work for others and do a desk job, but it just didn't work for me. I became even more ill. Go figure. So, what did I do? Went back to school and decided to work towards a degree. A culinary degree. Why not? I'd been going to college since 1986 and had not graduated until 2013. Now that ought to tell you something. But I am right back into the kitchen and it wasn't easy!! Why the heck did I return?! (I'm laughing)

  In culinary, we are all influenced by each other. I do believe most chefs do share each other's recipes, unless they truly wish to stay true to their own methods and learning styles that they themselves have accomplished and achieved. Chefs may have observed others ways of cooking, almost as I have done. Yet, staying with certain recipes that have been carried out for many generations while creating own styles, as I mention in the recipe videos (I think). This blog, I'm sure someone who is reading is going to take some ideas and incorporate them into their own language. It's what most people do. Some would call it plagiarism, being selfish, stealing, etc. Yet others simply call it, sharing. I just don't believe something is automatically reigned from heaven, unless someone is truly a saint. In other words we have all influenced each other.

  Hopefully these recipes that I'm posting will make a difference. In the meantime, I'm enjoying what I put out. Whether being acknowledged or simply making this recipe in your kitchen, my hopes is that you enjoy what I have to offer in my own experiences. As I shall call it sharing for now. Not to be copied, none of my recipe videos for that matter. Also, not to be placed on another person's blog or website without my permission for monetary gain.  For others, I can't speak for them. Enjoy!!

Recipe Video Mary's Making Creole Gumbo with Pumpkin Sage Cornbread! (Part 1 of 4)

Mise-en-place

Ingredients from Creole Gumbo:

Cook chicken to 2 quarts of water and set aside

A large pot and wooden spoon!

Bacon bits, 4 ounces, small diced, or short ribs, sliced (thin cut by butcher)
XVOO and Canola (50/50), 1/2 cup, using a tablespoon at a time
AP (All purpose) flour, 1/2 cup
Ground beef, 8 ounces, very lean
Onion, 1 medium, 2/3 cup, washed, peeled, small diced
Celery, 3-4 stalks, 2/3 cup, trimmed, small diced
Carrots, 1/2 cup. peeled and small diced
Bell peppers, 1 medium, 1 cup, small diced
Garlic, 3-4 cloves, peeled and minced
Sausage, any hot sausage, or other, 1 pound, diced medium
Chicken from broth, 6-8 ounces, medium diced
Fresh herbs, sage, rosemary, and thyme, equally blended, 1/4 cup
Cajun spice (Optional), 1 tablespoon
Old Bay, (Optional) 1 tablespoon
Spices; 21 seasons, preferably, 2 teaspoons
Red chili flakes, 2 teaspoons
Broth, 2 quarts, reserving chicken (de-boned)
Worcestershire sauce, 2 tablespoons
Tomatoes, crushed, 2 cups or 16 ounces
Tomato ketchup, 1/4 cup
White wine, 1/2 cup

Okra, 1 pound, sliced 1/4" fried in 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
Cast iron skillet

Shrimp, 8 ounces to 1 pound, deveined, peeled, cleaned and kept whole (optional)
  Make sure that you have your chicken cooked, and remove chicken from broth. To begin your roux, heat the pot at medium high. Add the oil a bit at a time, a tablespoon, like the video is showing you. Add bacon, and fry, using a wooden spoon, cook until browned. Add flour and saute until browned. Add ground beef and blend into roux while crumbling the meat. The ground beef should be cooked but not overcooked! Add all the vegetables except the the okra. (The okra will be fried separately). Sweat and stir until tender. Scrape the bottom so that the fond is removed, using the same wooden spatula. Cover and allow to sweat for about 2-3 minutes. Add extra oil, if necessary, and stir, scraping the fond. (Only add the oil if the roux appears to be dry). Cover.

  Meanwhile prepping the okra; fry the okra in a heated and oiled, preferably in a heated cast iron skillet, until browned. Season with salt and pepper. Add to mixture. Add in meats, fresh herbs, spices, chili flakes, constantly stirring. Then add crushed tomatoes and broth, Worcestershire sauce, tomato ketchup, wine, and cover. Lower heat and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally making sure the meats do not stick on the bottom of the pot. (Taste to make sure your seasonings are to your palette).

  Note: You can also add ham with the first part of this gumbo recipe. If you are going to add crab, it's not added until a half hour before it's completely done. If you are not using the okra, you can find some filet' (sassafras herb) at your local store. Use as recommended.

  Add the shrimp and cook for an additional 15 minutes.

Recipe Video Mary's Cooking Creole Gumbo and Pumpkin Sage Cornbread! (Part 2 of 4) 

Recipe Video Mary's Cooking Creole Gumbo and Pumpkin Sage Cornbread! (Part 3 of 4)


Mis-en-place

Ingredients for Pumpkin Sage Cornbread:

Sage Butter:
Fresh sage, finely diced, tablespoon
Butter, unsalted, sweet, 1 tablespoon, heated in a small cast iron skillet 

AP flour, 1 cup
Corn flour, medium, 1 cup
Salt, 3/4 teaspoon
Baking soda, 1 teaspoon
Sugar, 1/3 cup
Butter, unsalted, 1/4 cup, melted
Eggs, 2 whole, lightly beaten
Cream 3/4 cup mixed with pumpkin puree
Pumpkin puree, 3/4 cup
Fresh sage, 2 tablespoons, finely diced, sauteed in 2 teaspoons of unsalted browned butter
Scallions, 3 sprigs, diagonally thin sliced
Red chili flakes, 1 teaspoon

Cheddar cheese, extra sharp, 4 ounces, small diced

Cast iron skillet
2 tablespoons melted in skillet

Extra butter!! 
  Preheat oven 400 degrees. Mix all dry ingredients into a bowl. Add the renaming except sage, scallions, pepper flakes, and cheese, using a rubber spatula. Scrape the side of the bowl when mixing. You really don't need a mixer, because the ingredients mix very well. After thoroughly blending, add the remaining ingredients. add sage. add cheddar cheese.

  Heat the skillet, add 2 tablespoons of butter and melt. Sprinkle a bit of corn meal on the bottom of buttered skillet. Dollop batter evenly in skillet, spread evenly. Place skillet in the oven, on the middle rack. Lower oven to 375 degrees. Bake for 30 minutes or until the center of bread is firm to the touch and springs back quickly. Remove from oven and place extra butter on top. 

Recipe Video for Mary's Making Creole Gumbo and Pumpkin Sage Cornbread! Part 4 of 4

Plated Creole Gumbo and Pumpkin Sage Cornbread paired with a beautiful Red Wine!

Enjoy!! 





1 comment: