Sunday, August 16, 2015

Mexican Chile Colorado (In Memory of Her Mother)

A Tribute to my Mother

My beautiful parents, 3 months after they were married. (1953)


  Writing about my mother and my heritage with her tells others a lot about me. She was my best friend, but not always. There's just something about the Mexican/Spanish culture that makes one feel so warm inside. It's a deepness of love. An intimacy. I remember when we would go to Mexico, me and my cousins, embraced each other's arms when we went places together. We never walked alone. We always had each other to depend on. It was the way it was, and how it was. In our American society, not so much, I felt. Yet, in Mexico, back in my earlier years, it was a beautiful thing. Felt like security that one would receive from one another. Always a beautiful friendship of love. On most days, mom was my mother. Still, she would laugh at me when I did crazy things, only at home of course. I think she stopped judging me when she realized that my personality was just different from others. I never really liked strict rules, yet, I sometimes appreciated some sort of structure, at times, but not always. But sometimes I did rebel, because I wanted to be that free and independent woman. It just wasn't how she felt she wanted me to be at times, which I felt strongly many times. Other times, I didn't care what she thought. I just did whatever I felt, which later cost me. Still, we always kept in touch and shared affection, hugging and kissing as I would go and come. I had developed a special love for my mother as she opened herself up to me,as I did to her. But she didn't share everything and I often wondered why.

  We went to church every Sunday. Sunday church was just part of our lives. My father went to his Baptist church, while my mother took us to her Catholic church, which became ours. Although I never felt complete in it, I would embrace what was given me. And growing up, I had no other choice. She wanted us to be very close to her religion, and my father respected that as he would go to his. Sometimes I think it was so that he could feel connected with his roots. Although, my church was Catholic most times it was alright. There I learned how to pray, and pray a lot. Mom was always the pillar of our family, even when my father thought he was. Yep, she ran the household, when he would say, " I am the king of this castle". And what he said, it was so, in his mind, because we were always careful. (Smile) Many times my mother would just ignore him. Those were my favorite times of course. When we got out of church we would always want something special to eat. Nothing extravagant just a simple dinner, like fried chicken, mash potatoes, gravy, rolls, tortillas always, and homemade salsa of course. At times she would just go buy KFC. If we had leftovers, it was what we ate. I think I was simply spoiled a little and she didn't mind contributing to my appetite at times. I wanted something different, always, and loved to watch my mother cook her specialty dishes.

  I didn't take into thought about how hard my parents worked many times. It was until I began to have responsibility for my own family then I realized how hard work was, especially labor work. I would often say, "What the heck am I doing, working this hard?" But I suppose it was my passion. I wanted to work for myself, be close to my kids, and build something special for my own family. A culture that would not be forgotten, and something that seem to be easy to do at the time. That's when cooking became my passion. It was not only therapy, it was my life now. Still, going back to my mother's cooking, I loved when she would make certain foods. I would watch her. I had some of my own ideas. Before she passed away I would come over and cook for her at times, and then she would watch me. We watched each other as though we were both learning from one another sharing recipes. It was a beautiful thing. That's how we became very close, in the kitchen. That was our ultimate and intimate connection.

  We began to make jokes in the privacy of our kitchen, hers and mine, which of course were only meant for "us" gals. Sometimes she didn't feel like joking, but other times, she would laugh internally, I could see her stomach move, saying, "Ay que muchacha", meaning "Oh that girl". It was our moment, my solace moment with her. I just felt I was her special child. Of course, it was my ego! I knew she had to be fair to others. But I felt the privilege of being her youngest, and she was the only one who truly had my heart and trust, more then most times.

  This chile colorado is a dish that has to be made when one is in the mood for it, simply because it has so many different spices. I'm sure many eat it regularly, but for me, it is special. I loved my mother's Chile Colorado! Something about her cooking that made you want more of it. And oh her re-fried beans, Spanish rice, and tortillas just made it all the better. With this recipe video, I do prepare it with my Creamy Polenta Recipe, which I learned in my culinary program. I often wondered how those tubal packages were made, that where wrapped in plastic with clamps on each end. But I never used them, I don't think....or maybe I did at one time and didn't really connect with them. In the culinary program, we used the highest quality of dried polenta as well as other high quality ingredients which made the school's program special. When I made it, one of the chef's at the school made a rare compliment, saying it was very delicious. And when one goes back for seconds, that tells you more.

  My father was a rare "compliment-or" and when he wanted seconds, I knew I had suited his palette, and that made me feel good. or maybe he just kept his feelings to himself of how he truly felt about the dish so that I wouldn't get my feelings hurt, who knows. Only he does, but he's no longer here. As for my mother, there were times she wasn't so pleasant in her compliments, when I was experimenting my culinary skills from watching Julia Child. At times, it felt like she hated me. But as I became an adult, she did compliment me. Unfortunately, there were times that she would make remarks that only indicated that her food was more delightful them mine. it was a time, I wanted to do my own cooking style and have my own catering business. But this isn't about that. It's about honoring the woman who gave me birth regardless of how I felt about her and how she felt about me. and the good memories of my mother, not the bad ones.

  I suppose being a chef there has to be some sense of egotism which can only come from passion or a sense of identity, I'm not quite sure, but still learning. That's alright, it's what we learn to absorb in the kitchen, when we work with others. I felt I was good at making this particular dish, as long as I was given some time and time to learn. So this is a bit of my passion, ego, with a lot of my Mama's memory of her love for cooking a special dish, Chile Colorado. I hope you enjoy it. And I'm anxious to share the recipe. Thank you!

Chile Colorado! Part 1 

Mise-en-place

Sirloin beef, 2 pound slab, seasoned with salt and pepper to taste
Onion, 1 whole, washed, peeled and diced medium
Bell pepper, 1 whole diced medium
Carrots, 1 cup peeled and small diced
1/2 & 1/2 (Extra virgin olive oil and canola mix), 2 tablespoons
Garlic, (optional) 2 cloves, finely minced
California chili, ground dry, 2 tablespoons
Pasilla chili, ground dry, 2 tablespoons
Ripe tomatoes, 1 and 1/2 pounds, large diced 
Jalapenos, 1-2, rinsed and finely diced, without seeds (Seeds are hot!!)
Chipolte, 2 tablespoons
Stock or beef broth, 2 cups (Optional, 1 cup red wine for the 1 cup stock)
Lime juice from 1/2 of whole
Salt & pepper to taste
Cilantro, (optional), 1/2 diced or rough chopped
  Heat up a large stainless steel saute pan, adding oil to a hot point. Meanwhile, season the meat lightly, as stated, and dice to medium cuts. Immediately place in hot saute pan. Cook for 10 minutes or until liquids from meat evaporate leaving a caramelized flavor. Add onions, bell peppers, carrots, and garlic until the vegetables are wilted. Add chili powders and continue to stir until all spices are thoroughly blended. Add diced tomatoes, jalapenos, stock, and a squeeze of lime juice. Season with salt and pepper, and cilantro (optional). Cover and simmer on medium low heat for 30 minutes. If it begins to dry out add more stock and re-season. Make sure you are tasting between each step.

Mexican Chile Colorado over Creamy Parmesan Polenta!

Mise-en-place for creamy Parmesan Polenta:

Dry Polenta, 1 cup, (optional) heat in oven
Stock or broth, 2 and 1/2 cups, preferably chicken stock
Milk, Cream, or Half and Half, 2 and 1/2 cups. I prefer half and half 
(The creamier the better)
Unsalted butter, 8 ounces
Parmesan cheese, grated, 3/4 cups
Salt and pepper to taste
  Take some time making this polenta. It will take approximately 45 to 50 minutes for that rich creamy polenta. Heat stock in a separate pot. Add one cup in another pot. Pour polenta slowly while stirring with a wooden spoon. Add 1 cup of hot stock at a time as it becomes thicker. Then add milk, cream, or half and half. Continue to stir. After the polenta becomes thicker, add butter. Then add cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to stir. Delicious! Oh and don't forget to taste in between.

 Chili Colorado Part 2



Squash Flower Tostitos with Cabbage Slaw and Guacamole Fresco!!

Mise-en-place recipe ingredients for Tostitos:
Oil for frying small corn tortillas
Organic corn tortillas, 3"
Colander, tongs, plate

Grated cheese, (optional)

Mise-en-place recipe ingredients for sauteed Squash Flowers;
Onion, 1/2 washed, peeled, and julienne sliced
Extra virgin olive oil and canola, 2 tablespoons
Ripe tomatoes, 2 medium or 1 large, I prefer Heirloom. medium diced
Squash flowers, 15-20, medium sliced
Jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced and finely diced without seeds
Salt and pepper to taste

Mise-en-place recipe ingredients for Cabbage Slaw: 
Purple and green cabbage, sliced thin. Mix 2 cups
Cilantro, 1/2 cup thinly sliced
Red bell pepper 1/2, julienne and chopped
Lime, squeeze 1/2 into cabbage mixture 
Salt & pepper to taste
  For tostitos, heat oil in a medium saute pan enough to cover bottom, about 1/8" above the inside of the pan. (1 cup) Make sure oil is at smoke point them lower heat. Place 3-4 tortillas into oil and turn over with tongs when crispy on each side, about 3 to 5 minutes each. Place colander on plate. Using tongs, place crispy tostitos into colander so that they drain. 

  Saute squash flowers, heat oil in a saute pan. Carefully place onions in pan, season with salt and pepper. Sweat the onions in pan and add tomatoes. Stir until heated, and add diced jalapenos. Immediately add squash flowers, season with salt and pepper.  

  For cabbage slaw, mix all of the ingredients into a bowl and stir. Squeeze lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. Serve on top of Squash Tostitos. 

Guacamole Fresco!

Mise-en-palce recipe ingredients for guacamole fresco:

Firm ripe avocados, 2, cut and peeled. Remove seed.
Ripe tomato 1 large, small diced
Cheese, grated or sour cream, your choice, or both! 1/2 cup
Red onion, or green onions, small diced, 1/3 cup 
Jalapeno, finely diced without seeds (seeds are hot!)
Lime, 1/2 lime juice
Cilantro (optional), 1/4 cup finely chopped
Salt & pepper to taste
Salsa, (optional)
  Place all ingredients into a bowl and mash with a whisk or a fork. That simple! Season with salt and pepper and taste! Delicious!! 

Putting it all together!! 
Place grated cheddar cheese on the tostito, add a bit of squash flower. Then add cabbage slaw and top with guacamole fresco. Enjoy your first bite!! Absolutely New Mexico!!

Mexican Chili Colorado Dinner!! Part 3

  Now this video should help with placing it all together. I do apologize for the amateur setting but you will get the jest of it. I have to say that for my kids, this is easy simply because they helped me in the kitchen with many catering events and my business. Those were the great times we spent together, just like I was able to spend with my mother. Thank you for joining me and I do hope that you enjoy this meal wherever you maybe!! God bless! 

2 comments:

  1. My new blog sharing a food memory about my time int he kitchen with my mother. I hope you enjoy it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My new blog sharing a food memory about my time int he kitchen with my mother. I hope you enjoy it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete