Sunday, August 2, 2015

Blue Corn Cakes filled with Delicate Squash Flowers

Blue Corn Cakes with Squash Flowers!

 Gosh, I was sort of tired when I recorded this recipe. After having to regather all of the ingredients because of the first recording flaw, with perseverance I was able to complete it. These videos are not easy to do. But my hopes is that they will reach the people that I love the most, my kids and grand-kids, and of course my fans. So let's get started!!

  Everyday I have picked a handful of squash flowers. At first I was excited, like anything else in life. Something special is exciting at first with a newness, such as a new born baby. Babies are very special! How does this relate to picking squash flowers? Well, these squash flowers were beginning to become a little monotonous. They just don't go away. They keep growing and growing and wanting more water!! What can I say? I was filling and frying them, tearing them into salads, and sauteing them with meats, etc. Then the  thought came to me, these guys are truly very special. They are so delicate and beautiful. I can only imagine them being a big deal to their indigenous ancestors for thousands of years. They are so deserving of a special way to be treated and prepared. How would I like to eat them and savor the memory while keeping their tradition of beauty of the Americas cuisine? So I decided to fill these handmade corn cakes with a this delicious mixture of zucchini flowers, enhancing the flavors by adding heirloom tomatoes, onions, and jalapeno peppers. Trying to keep the delicacy and simplicity by bringing some flavors to celebrate this dish took some thought after nurturing these little guys. And that would be to reflect on the many trips I took as a child with my mother as a child to deep parts of Mexico. Not only has this recipe become a food memory to me, but has become an enhancement to a staple food, maize, my grandmother would use everyday on her home ranch. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I had fun making them!!

Mary's Blue Corn Cakes with Delicate Squash Fowers

Mise-en-place

Corn meal/masa mixture (1 pound)
Wax paper
Grated Cheeses/ Casero and Cheddar 
Squash flowers mixture
Butter for the griddle
Iron cast skillet
Spatula
  Corn meal/masa mixture is real easy. Add 1 teaspoon of salt, 3/4 teaspoon of each, baking soda and baking powder (non aluminum). Add 2 tablespoons of fat, (melted butter or cooking oil). Mix dry ingredients then add 2 tablespoons of finely diced cilantro, 1 to 1-1/2 cups of liquid slowly to a soft dough consistency.  

  Place 1/4 sliced onion, and rough chopped, with 2 tablespoons of butter in a heated saute pan. Stir for a minute and add 1/2 of a sweet tomato, diced. Cook for about a minute. Stir clean and loosely cut squash flowers just enough to heat them up. Do not overcook and set aside. 

Cast Iron Skillet/Hot Griddle!! 
  Heat cast iron skillet on medium. Meanwhile, place about 2 tablespoons of corn meal/masa mixture in the palm of your hand and roll into a ball. Place the round ball in between a folded wax paper, and lightly press down to form a round thick round flat cake, ( 3" in diameter). Place a dab of butter on heated skillet. 

  Gently paced each cake on the griddle. Wait for about 2 minutes then turn over with a spatula. Very easy!! Also Fun!! These are going to be sooooo delicious!! 
  
Add cheese while hot!

Add the beautiful squash flowers! 

  After adding the flowers and cover each one with the other corn cake. Serve while warm!You are going to love these delicious appetizers or have a wonderful meal. If you have some extra squash flowers, they will compliment your salad!!


Enjoy!!




No comments:

Post a Comment